Well all this talk about getting electrocuted got me thinking that maybe we all need a bit of a short circuit to a lighter topic.
I have posted regarding modifications to my aged Conquest/345 model. It was brought into Australia before Conqueror Australia existed so I won’t be blaming them for anything. But the trailer had a number of shortcomings for the uses I had in mind. These I have largely outlined in my previous descriptions of modifications performed.
I had upgraded the axle as I had managed to bend 3 of them. Not sure why particularly me but maybe I have been a bit rough on it. It now has a 60mm=3.3 tonne axle underneath it and I can’t see me bending this. This axle also came with 12in electric brakes which are a noticeable step up over the 10in ones I had before and a gazillion times better than the override brakes supplied with the trailer.
I also upgraded the springs from the garden trailer slipper springs to 1550kg eye to eye rebound ones. I also strengthened the chassis along the length of the spring attachment. The old Gabriel shock absorbers which were patently not up to the task had both broken off and I decided initially given I had rebound springs not to bother with them. That decision niggled a bit and I then decided to fit some. Mark Sills at Tough Touring does a great kit for this trailer (and thanks for the inspiration Mark) but I decided to follow my own path. I also wanted the axle to be below the springs for clearance purposes.
So I modified the spring fish plate so a shocker could mount to it.
I had to keep the fish plate on the bottom so another plate was manufactured for above the spring over which the U-bolts run. The axle and the top plate are located by the central spring bolt.
I had another 2x5mm plates made for the top shocker mount that attach to original bolt holes in the chassis where the original useless Gabriel shock mounted. They mount either side of the chassis with a crush tube between.
The outer plate has a 30mm diameter solid rod welded to it 35mm in length. In the centre is a 12mm bolt hole for the high tensile shocker support bolt.
I eventually found a Monroe shock absorber to fit. Ironically it is from the Cruisemaster coil suspension. If it can handle coils it should have no problem with leaf rebound springs.
At the same time I replaced the water tank supports as one of these had failed. The supports are very flimsy and are attached to two of the cross-members of the trailer but of which had crushed under the weight of the full water tanks as the cross-member ran over the top of the chassis rails.
I have mounted two supports using 25x50mm RHS from one chassis rail to another. This has the added bonus of creating cross-chassis support as I had previous problems with the bottom of the chassis rails approximating each other!
I have now been able to remove the previous threaded rod support I had there.
A few photos:
My next duty is to stick an awning on it over the kitchen side. I will experiment with a 2.5 x 2.5m straight awning at first and see how that goes. I would prefer one of those 270 degree ones but the raisable supports I have worked out will be tested first with a lighter load.
And they will be tested as I am heading off soon from Victoria to Maralinga and then north through the western deserts to Broome, around the Kimberly in June and then back through Darwin and Central Australia.
So if you see on your travels a 345 sitting on the road with no suspension under it stop and say hullo. It might be me.